The Art Of Haggling And Other Money Secrets

The Three Most Important Parts Of A Bail Bond

Bail bonds are an important part of the criminal justice system, and it's important to understand them in case of an emergency. Bail bonds are amounts that those arrested must pay in order to leave jail, and they are set by the judge. You don't need to have the entire amount so long as you show up to court.

The Judge Sets The Bail

The amount of bail set for someone who has been taken to jail depends on a variety of factors. In general, the judge of the criminal (or sometimes civil) case will set the amount needed to leave jail based on various factors, specific to their state. For example, someone with no criminal history caught shoplifting something small will likely have a bail 1/5 to 1/10 the amount set for a suspected violent felony committed by someone with a criminal history. The bail amounts are different because someone arrested for a felony is more likely to try to skip town than someone who was, for example, inebriated in public.

You Don't Need The Full Amount

Another important thing to understand about bail bonds is that individuals with bail bonds typically do not need to pay the entire amount. This depends on the crime and the state, but in general the arrested individual can work with a bail bondsman to pay 10% of the bond. For example, if your bail is set at $1,000, you can give the bail bondsman $100 and they will cover the other 90%. Sometimes you may get some of this money back depending on the legal limits for bail bondsman commissions, but in general, you will be paying 10% of the bond in order to leave jail early.

Just Show Up

Finally, it's important to note that the bail, partially-paid or otherwise, is meant to incentivize arrested individuals to show up for court. If you work with a bail bondsman, then the 90% of the bond can generally be forgiven once you show up for court. However, if you fail to arrive on your court date, then the bondsman can seize your assets in order to pay the rest of the bond. This can include your car, house, jewelry, and other collateral. There are other reasons to make sure you show up for court, but bail bonds are meant to be a strong financial incentive.

Bail bonds are an important part of the United States justice system. They require individuals to pay a certain amount in order to leave jail before their court date. They can do this through paying 10% up-front through a bail bondsman, and ensuring that they arrive in court at their court date.